Re: Why The Who?/ Girl thoughts

> This is very similar to how I got interested... I think my first
> genuine exposure was because my older brother had just bought Who Are
> You.  Then TKAA was released and was a frequent midnight movie at the
> local art theatre.  My first Who album was Meaty, Beaty, Big and
> Bouncy -- which turned out to be a really great first choice!  Then I
> bought Empty Glass, and it all just spiraled from there.  I do
> remember megadialing WYSP in Philly to try and request Magic Bus
> before I had bought MBBaB.  I finally got in!  (One of the few times
> in my life where I ever was successfully able to dial into one of the
> Philly stations; and this was in the days before phones had redial
> buttons and we didn't even have a touch tone phone then!)  I requested
> Magic Bus and the guy said he would play it, so I went back to my
> radio and was dutifully listening for the opening acoustic chords....
> when I heard something that was definately LOUD, definately ELECTRIC
> and then it dawned on me that this was Magic Bus!  The DJ did me a
> favor and played the version from Live at Leeds (this was 1978/1979, btw)
> and it FLOORED me.  When they come out of the quiet part and burst into
> the jam at the end I practically had to change my underwear :).  After
> seeing TKAA and playing my vinyl copy of "Empty Glass" so many times
> that I literally wore out the grooves :), I knew I was hooked.  I was
> in like 8th grade at the time and previously (remember the 70s? :), I
> had even bought a copy of Elton John's version of Pinball Wizard which
> I played alot on my cassette player, not even knowing it was a
> Townshend song until later when I saw TKAA.  During high school I was
> pejoratively referred to by the collective studen body as a
> "who freak" or "who head" because I wore this jacket that was
> completely covered in Who buttons :).  Yeah, I'm a junkie... where's
> my fix, Pete?
> --
>                                                Rich Thomson
>                                                rthomson@ptc.com

	That is KICK booty!!!!!  I of course had always heard of The Who before
I got into them, most noticibly during the prior year with Who Are You,
and the radio played tunes from that album.
	So when TKAAR was released, one of my buddies said "hey Joe, we're
going to see that Who movie again, and this time your going to go with
us to see a drummer that blows John Bonham away".  I just laughed at him
and said "better than Bonham...HA, that'll be the day".
	Welllll, I went with them to see it and was floored exactly like I
described in my previous letter to this group today!

							Joseph Manfredi