Re: Why The Who?/ Girl thoughts

In article <34ECC7C6.59EDE3D9@home.com> ,
    Joseph <joseph9@home.com>  writes:
> 	I went to a showing of "The Kids Are Alright" at my local movie theatre
> when the film was first released with some pals that had already just
> seen it the week before.

This is very similar to how I got interested... I think my first
genuine exposure was because my older brother had just bought Who Are
You.  Then TKAA was released and was a frequent midnight movie at the
local art theatre.  My first Who album was Meaty, Beaty, Big and
Bouncy -- which turned out to be a really great first choice!  Then I
bought Empty Glass, and it all just spiraled from there.  I do
remember megadialing WYSP in Philly to try and request Magic Bus
before I had bought MBBaB.  I finally got in!  (One of the few times
in my life where I ever was successfully able to dial into one of the
Philly stations; and this was in the days before phones had redial
buttons and we didn't even have a touch tone phone then!)  I requested
Magic Bus and the guy said he would play it, so I went back to my
radio and was dutifully listening for the opening acoustic chords....
when I heard something that was definately LOUD, definately ELECTRIC
and then it dawned on me that this was Magic Bus!  The DJ did me a
favor and played the version from Live at Leeds (this was 1978/1979, btw)
and it FLOORED me.  When they come out of the quiet part and burst into
the jam at the end I practically had to change my underwear :).  After
seeing TKAA and playing my vinyl copy of "Empty Glass" so many times
that I literally wore out the grooves :), I knew I was hooked.  I was
in like 8th grade at the time and previously (remember the 70s? :), I
had even bought a copy of Elton John's version of Pinball Wizard which
I played alot on my cassette player, not even knowing it was a
Townshend song until later when I saw TKAA.  During high school I was
pejoratively referred to by the collective studen body as a
"who freak" or "who head" because I wore this jacket that was
completely covered in Who buttons :).  Yeah, I'm a junkie... where's
my fix, Pete?
--
                                               Rich Thomson
                                               rthomson@ptc.com