Re: Guitar Poll

>Pete's own lead seems at its weakest during his Gibson SG period when he
was
>trying to emulate Clapton's extended "solo's".

It does seem that during this period Pete felt compelled, perhaps by
audience expectations, to compete with the Claptons, Becks, and Pages of the
day, which is a bit of a shame since his true strengths as a guitarist lay
elsewhere.  Nevertheless, I really enjoy his leads from this period for the
passion and energy with which they were performed, flaws and all.  I also
love the tone he got with the SG....those p90 pickups have never been
bettered, in my opinion.

 Pete's own best lead style
>seems to come & go. A more clipped, Telecasterish, staccato style, it's
there
>on the 1st single - esp. the first great break on Can't Explain - but seems
>then to go underground
>post-Tommy.
>
>Listen to the (low in the mix) lead gtr which follows the bass solo on My
Gen.

>Pure Townshend, unaffected by notions of fashion or Clapton-angst. Very
nearly
>as individual as his greatest chord work. The two blend. Distinctions
between
>lead & rythm disappear and it's just Guitar Playing.
>
>jp

I don't believe I've ever heard it stated more eloquently.

Buck