Husker Du (no Who)

>1.  Warehouse:  Songs and Stories - a good starter because this was the
>Husker's first and only "commercial" album released.  Coincidentally, it
>was their last release as a group.  It's a good starter because it's not
>as hard edged as the other Husker albums. It's harder than granite
>compared to most bands, but for the Huskers, it was pretty low key.
>Very enjoyable tunes.
>
>2.  New Day Rising - A full blown assault on your listening abilities.
>The songs are hardcore but the melodies are still there.  Kind of like
>the Beatles on speed and Jolt Cola.
>
>3.  Flip Your Wig - Same as New Day above, but contains the song "Divide
>and Conquer" which could be their greatest song ever.

As a longtime Husker fan, I couldn't agree more with Jim's Husker Du
'guidebook'. (You can imagine how thrilled I was when Mould opened
acoustically for Pete at the Supper Club shows). Hold off on 'Zen Arcade'
unless you like their other stuff. Warehouse, or the under-rated "Candle
Apple Grey" are the most 'accessible' and are packed with great songs. New
Day Rising and Flip Your Wig are my two favorite Husker albums (I like Flip
best), and, coincidentally enough, "Divide and Conquer" has always been my
favorite Mould song. I've always tried to imagine what it would've been like
for them to open with it: the lights still out as the song starts, before
blasting on as Bob enters in with "Well, they divided up all the land...".

D13