Re: Pete Was Dead?

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Carl Gilbertsen wrote:

> I read somewhere that Pete died in the early eighties due to a cocaine
> overdose but that he was revived.  Is there any truth to this story?

The most complete account of this I can think of offhand is in Richard
Barnes' The Who Maximum R@B.  He'd been drinking at a club in 1980 and he
took some heroin when someone offered it to him.  He passed out and the
bouncer took him out to his car.  Pete's driver, Paul Bonnick, saw his
lips had turned blue and his pulse was weak.  He raced Pete to the
hospital, and after he'd turned completely blue and they'd pounded on his
chest, they put him on a life support machine and barely saved his life
(paraphrased from the book).

I don't know if he was ever actually clinically dead.  It sounds as
though his heart stopped beating, though.  We can all thank Paul Bonnick
for keeping Pete with us.  I believe he is still Pete's driver--anyone
know?

Bill Watson