Re: Pete at Harborlights Review

Pete Townshend is over fifty, hard of hearing, and was one of the defining
performers of the English rock seen, hell, the World-wide rock scene over
twenty years ago.  So shouldn't he be laying back in his country estate or
Malibu resort racing cars, making movies and the occasional Las Vegas tour
and PPV broadcast?  No way.  That would be expected.  That would be Mick
Jagger's bag.  Pete likes to annoy people.  Pete likes to do whatever he
wants and when he wants.  Pete wants to make amends for bonking Abbey
Hoffman on the head in 1969 so he agreed to gather up a few friends, put a
band together and appear in the Woodstock Revival, play a couple of U.S.
dates.   Get out the Who and Townshend songbook, work out some new
arrangements plug in and let go with some power chords and the occasional
ringing solo.  Not that there's anything wrong with That.

So did Pete pull it off?  Yes and No.  The further out on a limb Pete goes,
the more chances he takes and the greater heights he achieves.  This time he
stayed pretty close to home.  Working with a five piece band (keboardist
guitarist-singer Jon Carin, Jody Linscott on percussion, a bassist from
Colombia, S.A., harmonica
player Peter Hope-Evans, and singer-guitarist Tracey Langran), Pete had an
ample wall of sound behind him, although they did not provide the slightly
chaotic rhythms that the Who material demands, indeed deserves.   The lack
of a proper drummer (drum loops were used throughout) was at times
noticeable especially on songs from the Who catalog such as WGFA which
became almost a military march.  Songs from Pete's catalog usually are
written with more straightahead rhythms so they lent themselves to this sort
of arrangement.

The bassist, and I apologize for not remembering his name, provided a funky
and syncopated rhythm which allowed the beauty and simplicity of Pete's
playing to shine through. Peter Hope-Evans' harmonica essentially functioned
as a lead guitar at times trading licks with Pete.  Tracey Langran provided
needed backup harmonies and sang lead adequately on "She's a Sensation" and
on a strangely misplaced Shawn Colvin tune, "Diamond in the Rough".  Jon
Carin amply handled keyboard duties and arranged the music, no mean feat.

As far as the rest of the song choices go, we were treated to a fine mix of
Who staples and Pete solo work as well as cover tunes from that band
Woodstock made famous, Canned Heat.  Also included was a heart-wrenching
rendition of The English Beat's "Save it For Later", in which Pete beseeched
the audience to "Not let me down".  What worked best were the songs in which
the band built up tension in a Yardbirds-style "rave-up" such as "The Kids
are All Right", "A Little is Enough", "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere", and "Now
and Then".  In these songs, Pete let go with some absolutely blistering
solos releasing the pent-up energy and resolving to a nice finish.

Songs that didn't work so well were "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Magic Bus"
in which the limitations of the  vocal and rhythm section were painfully
apparent and were additionally hampered by some amp/guitar malfunctions.
The concert finished with a gospel rendition of "Listening to  You" in which
the band was augmented by an additional 25 singers from a  group called
"Soul Saving Station".   There was no encore.

The concerted demonstrated Pete's uncanny ability to present his music in
new and exciting ways and in the process showing us its depth and
originality.  Hearing these songs reinterpreted by their composer was a
treat and an affirmation that this music remains timelessly vital.

Playlist (in approximate order):

On the Road Again (Canned Heat)
A Little is Enough
Save it for Later (The English Beat)
You Better You Better, You Bet
Drowned
Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere
Diamond in the Rough (Shawn Colvin)
Up to the Country (Canned Heat)
She's a Sensation
The Real Me
I Am an Animal
The Kids Are All Right
Now and Then
Acid Queen
Let My Love Open The Door
North Country Girl (Dedicated to Pete's wife Karen)
Won't Get Fooled Again
Magic Bus
Listening to You