Re: The Who, John Hiatt, and The Kinks

On 09/29/97 22:34:59 you wrote:

>Alan typed:
>>Can't say I have, or would be particularly interested to, either, after
>>this initial report.  People who take potshots at Pete/The Who in songs go
>>quickly to a special rung of my shitlist.  That's how John ("Perfectly Good
>>Guitar") Hiatt got there.
>
>Except that Pete has stated publicly in interviews that he loves the song...
>And he and Hiatt are actually friends.
>
>That song "Perfectly Good Guitar" wasn't a dig at Townshend, it was a dig on
>Nirvana.

I asked John about this last month and specifically asked about Pete's influence on the song.  I too read the interview
where he said he got the idea while watching Nirvana on TV with his kids.  He gave a non-committal answer "it was lots of
influences".   Pete was on Letterman when PFG was getting airplay and when Dave brought it up Pete said he felt like he was
doing the promotion for it and did say he was a great songwriter.

>TVC-15 typed:
>>The KINKS?!?  That's like saying Who vs. Sam the Sham.....
>
>Whoa!  The Kinks are one of the greatest rock bands ever!  How can anyone
>like Townshend's songs and not like Ray Davies?

I was thinking the same thing.

>|     Go on a horror hayride with Webb Wilder,    |
>|     the last of the Full Grown Men, at:         |
>| http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/5540 |

I had to check this out.  It's nice to see Webb in full Townshend mode. :)

Bruce