Re: Stones media onslaught

>From: GStruwe@aol.com
>
>I still don't have my answer.  Why did the
>Who maintain such a low media profile for the Quadrophenia work and
>subsequently play to less than capacity houses in some cities.  For example,
>Tampa was 10,500.  The venue accamodates close to 20,000.

I ascribe it to A) not having any new albums out since 1982; B) performing
music that was released over 20 years ago; C) _not_ doing a "greatest hits"
show; D) not billing themselves as The Who, which is in turn due to E) Pete
not wanting to go out as "The Who".  There is even some evidence that The
Who's publicity machine was trying to overcome this handicap as in many
cities in the US tour the radio commercials explicitly said it *would* be a
greatest hits show.  And, realistically, I doubt that a stadium's worth of
audience could be generated by announcing a 20-year-old 90-minute work
would be performed in its entirety; there's way more general audience
interest in "the hits", aka My Generation, Magic Bus, WGFA, and Boris.  And
the US '96 tour demonstrated that smaller venues were appropriate for the
audience the shows could generate.

By contrast, I was stunned to learn that the Stones released their *39th*
album prior to their current tour.  Whatever their faults, they do have new
music to play.  You can see how it's easier to generate stadium-sized
audiences when there's lots of fresh product to market.

Having, I trust, answered your question as to why they maintain a low media
profile, my question is why this bothers you.  I couldn't give a shit that
more people go to see Stones shows; I see it as a huge benefit that to see
Quad I only had to compete with 15,000 people rather than 70,000 for good
seats.  I'd be just as happy if they formed a fan club and played shows for
members (who would be notified by mail of the upcoming itinerary, of
course) in theatres holding, say, 1,500 - 3,000.

>From: sethian@math.berkeley.edu (James Sethian)
>
>   In short, the Rollings Stones are the Microsoft of rock. Why do you think
>they traded songs ("start me up")?

<clap clap clap clap> Brilliant!  I smell signature material...

>Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 07:26:54 -0800
>From: Sam Knutson <knutssjk@dfw.wa.gov>
>Subject: Rolling Stones Gather No Who Fans
>
>As a long time WHO-freak, I have always had a serious
>dislike for the Stones

As a long-time Who fan, I note that the Stones exist, and enjoy a couple of
their songs here and there.  I've seen them twice (1975 and Voodoo Lounge
'94) and had a great time.

>I guess it boils down to my somewhat subdued
>desire for those mindless Stones fans to come to the Light,

They, of course, are waiting/hoping for you to do the same.

>and see the more intelligent direction that The Who was
>trying to take rock music,

Long ago Pete was cited as Rock and Roll's thinking man, and the thinking
man's rock-and-roller.  Unfortunately, with the current state of the world,
the majority are are *not* willing to make the effort to think...thus the
majority are Stones fans.

>am EXTREMELY dismayed by the current Stones hype,

I just thank God I don't have to fight through that and all it implies to
get to my seat.

>considering the geritol nature of the Stones these days,

<cough>  Pot.  Kettle.  Black.

>From: c641069@showme.missouri.edu
>
>Remember the Who
>were only going to record Stones songs there for a while.

I remember that they were going to record Stones songs while some of the
Stones were in jail and unable to record the songs for themselves.  It's
not the same thing.

>From: jennifer fox <jfox@mail.slc.edu>
>Pete,
>Roger, or (god imagine this) John, don't have to resort to dancing around
>the stage as a little fairy

um...Not that there's anything *wrong* with that...  Although I will say I
enjoy trying to imagine John dancing around like a fairy.

>I think John
>Lennon put it best when he said,"I like the Stones' bluesy stuff, and their
>harder material like Honkey Tonk Woman,

Honky Tonk Woman is "harder material"???!??  BWAH ha ha ha ha haha...
HARDER???  HA HA HA HA HA HA HA <gasp, wheeze> HA HA HA HA HA...God, I
don't know where to start.  Pick one...MG, THE REAL ME, WGFA, BO'R, Young
Man Blues (L@L version) [list of 30 songs deleted]

> but I hate it when Jagger starts up
>with his faggot dancing..."

"...not that there's anything *wrong* with that..."

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend