Rolling Stones Gather No Who Fans

As a long time WHO-freak, I have always had a serious
dislike for the Stones - and I have sometimes (albeit rarely)
idly wondered why. Beyond the fact that the Stones are a
singles-based pop band, and represent much about rock
and roll that I have always detested - there seemed no
rational explanation. I found myself, as a WHO-fan, to be
somewhat jealous of the usual hype surrounding the Stones
whenever they did anything...and they certainly have a lot
of fans. I guess it boils down to my somewhat subdued
desire for those mindless Stones fans to come to the Light,
and see the more intelligent direction that The Who was
trying to take rock music, going back to the late 60's and
early 70's. Unfortunately, I believe that The Who could
not overcome with rock-art and intelligence the generally
mindless and unwashed rock and roll masses that flock to
Stones concerts. It just wasn't going to happen while Mick
and Keith were writing one hit after another, at the same
time Pete and the boys were exploring areas that most rock
and roll angels fear to tread. Am I making any sense here? I
am EXTREMELY dismayed by the current Stones hype,
considering the geritol nature of the Stones these days, and
in light of the current general media-disdain of The Who
and Quadrophenia. Truly a Darn Shame, but consistant
with the way it's been since about 1968.

Sam
88fingers@bigfoot.com