Re: Kenney Jones

On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Lucas Bleicher wrote:

> >I would like to offer a few words in defense of the much-maligned
> >Kenney Jones.  Am I the only one that actually LIKES Kenney?
>
> No. I like him too. Kenney Jones is a very good drummer, just have to
> view the "30 Years Of Maximum R&B live" video to realize that. The
> problem is that nobody admits that because the who had the greatest
> drummer to walk on earth before, so, they have to crap on him. I really
> find it awful.

Of course, any drummer trying to follow Keith was going to be doomed.
Everyone has their own opinion about K Jones, mine isn't that high, as I
wanted no-one but KM to be there. In fact, I didn't buy any post KM stuff,
and lost interest in the band solely because of their association with
Jones.

This is certainly unfair to Jones' drumming ability. HOWEVER, Jones was
aware of the situation, and must have known that he was going to be
disliked merely because he was NOT KM. Jones must have decided that the
benefits of playing with the Who were greater than the dislike he would
encounter.

Has Jones ever talked about his stuff? It must have been prime question
for interviews back then - I don't remember him saying anything, but then
I never read any interviews with him!!

I should point out that I was a kid when KM died, and that is why my
reaction was so childlike, but there were probably plenty of others who
felt the same way.

Glenna