TED and replacing Moon

> So it's not "The Who", it's "TED", huh?

Gary:

A name given by fans during the first swing of the QUAD tour. The ads
were saying Townshend Entwistle Daltrey (not necessarily in that order),
and it was natural enough to make it TED. For purists I guess it was
better than calling it The Who.

> I must admit, I find it hard to believe some of us are still complaining
> that The Who aren't The Who anymore.

Me too. After all, it was no longer the original band once Doug Sandom
left, right? Why is it OK for other bands to get new members...but not
for The Who? Granted Moon was no ordinary performer to be easily
replaced, but I feel this is too high a standard to hold. After all, to
do so means there could never be another TED performance, and as anyone
who saw the latest tour can attest...they're too good together not to be
together.

> He was given the toughest job imaginable (filling in for
> Moon) and he not only did that, he saved the frigging band in the process.

As much as I don't like him in the band, I have to agree with you here.
Pete was bored and disgusted with The Who, and Kenny gave him the chance
to reinvent the band. Thereby reviving his interest, at least for a few
years.

>  Can you imagine how Pete and Roger would
> have reacted to someone like Carl Palmer in the band?  Don't flame me about
> Palmer

I won't, but I do think he would have been the best post-Moon choice. He
was used to performing in a three instrument band, he was (is) a
fantastic drummer, and he would have brought an energy to the band which
Jones did not. It's true that he's very technical. But so was Philips.

> Can you imagine
> Phil Collins standing there?  (Pete: "Here's one of Phil's numbers."  Phil:
> "Thanks, Pete.  I call this one Su-Su-Sudio!")

Collins would have been a very poor choice, and one reason is what
you've cited here. It would have happened, and perhaps turned The Who
into a Pop band (shudder).

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "There's a million ways to laugh/And every one's a path..."

            Pete Townshend