"TED", KJ & me

So it's not "The Who", it's "TED", huh?
I must admit, I find it hard to believe some of us are still complaining
that The Who aren't The Who anymore.  Yes, we all know that when Keith Moon
died 19 years ago it was the end of an era -- not just for The Who, but for
rock itself.  Yes, we all know that PT, RD and JE are all over 50 now.  Yes,
we all know they've added a few extra musicians.  I think back to '79 when
it was heresy that they added a keyboard player -- and now most of us
worship Rabbit and treat him like one of the "originals".  Let's not talk
about the horn section.  Who was it wrote "Music Must Change"?  I guess few
of us took him to heart.

What irks me -- *really* irks me -- is the endless comparisons (here, and in
the print media) to The Who of 20 or 30 years ago.  Of course they're not
the same band!  But what's the point of complaining about it?  Unless
someone can find a way to freeze or roll back time, Pete, Roger and John are
all going to join Keith sooner or later (hopefully *later*!)  Can't we just
enjoy the music they're playing today without wallowing in self-pity because
Moon's dead, Townshend doesn't smash his guitar, and Daltrey... well,
Daltrey doesn't appear to actually have aged!  I was watching some early
footage from the 30 Years of Maximum R&B video the other day -- and
remarking how well the guys have held up over the years, all things
considered.  I caught the Quad show in Buffalo last November and again in
Toronto in July -- and personally, I was thrilled.  Just seeing the three of
them onstage together again was magical.  An epiphany.  Critics be damned --
this IS The Who!

On another note... I see the Kenney Jones question still burns eternal.
I've said it before and I'll say it again (and again and again...) Thank God
for Kenney Jones!  He was given the toughest job imaginable (filling in for
Moon) and he not only did that, he saved the frigging band in the process.
Yes, call me a heretic but I firmly believe that Kenney's unobtrusive style
and personality was a big plus.  Can you imagine how Pete and Roger would
have reacted to someone like Carl Palmer in the band?  Don't flame me about
Palmer -- I think he's a fantastic drummer, but his ego and flamboyant style
surely would have pissed the others off.  Would they have grafted a drum
solo in the middle of Won't Get Fooled Again?  Kenney stepped in, did his
job, and took a lot of crap for it, from the fans, the critics, and the rest
of the band itself.  What if Moon hadn't died.  Could The Who have
continued?  Only by firing him, or having him resign, apparently.  If they'd
chosen to continue, who would they have picked?  How about a guy who came
from the same scene, played the same types of gigs, played on the Tommy
soundtrack, and was a mate of Moon's?  Sure, Kenney Jones!  Kenney was --
and is -- the natural choice.  I was looking through my old tour books from
'80 and '82, and he fits *perfectly* with the group photos.  Can you imagine
Phil Collins standing there?  (Pete: "Here's one of Phil's numbers."  Phil:
"Thanks, Pete.  I call this one Su-Su-Sudio!")  Amen, brother.  St. Kenney
will *always* be an integral part of the band to me.  And yes, I prefer his
work on the Who Are You material over Moon's.  Apart from the title track,
Moon was really dragging -- but even then, he was *still* incredible.  And
still doomed.