Rough Boys

     I almost hate to bring this up again, but I noticed that the "Is Pete
     Gay?" question came up again.  I pulled out a tape I have containing a
     bit of the interview that, I believe, started that whole rumor
     (hopefully, this will answer more questions than it will raise, but I
     kinda doubt it).

     In an interview with Timothy White, for his book "Rock Lives," Pete
     was asked about the song "Rough Boys."
     PETE:

        "How could Rough Boys have been written for The Who?  It's about
     homosexuality.  It was kind of an acknowledgment of the fact that I
     had had a gay life and I understood what gay sex was about.  That it
     was... it was not about faggery at all.  It was about violence and
     savagery in a lot of senses.  I think one of the things that stunned
     me when the record was released was suddenly I realized I found a
     female audience.  Just by being honest about the fact, you know, that
     I have...I understand.  Y'know, I understand how gay people feel.  I
     understand and I identify and I know how it feels to be a woman.  I
     know how it feels to be a woman because I am a woman, you know, and I
     won't be classified as just a man."

     When I first heard that, I did not take it literally or too seriously,
     given the way Pete tends to ramble about things in general and given
     the fact that he was married and had a family (not that it would have
     changed my opinion of him).  I sort of assumed he was speaking
     figuratively, the way he obviously was about being a "woman."

     Nowhere in the interview does it say that he has actually had a
     homosexual liaison.  When he was questioned about it later, he
     declined to confirm or deny anything, stating, "I don't want to betray
     my gay fans feelings of solidarity with me.  I really don't think it
     matters whether I am gay or not." (true)

     The only other related thing that I came across from an interview in
     1989 before the LA Tommy performance:

        "People sometimes expect us to be like we were on Live At Leeds all
     the time.  You know, heavy drums, lots of guitar smashing...And when I
     started to record solo albums in 1979, and I allowed a feminine side
     to creep in, I was amazed at how many women I discovered were actually
     buying our records, and buying my records."

     You can make of this what you wish.  I have heard/read a lot of
     interviews with Pete and have found that he sometimes contradicts
     himself and tends to go "shooting off at the mouth" a lot.  But that
     is one of the things that makes his interviews interesting (and
     sometimes frustrating).

     peace,
     Mike