"Somebody Saved Me"

Many of you may recall a discussion we had about "Somebody Saved Me"
and who exactly the somebody of the song might be.  A number of
theories were presented (it was Kit Lambert, it was Keith Moon, it
was EVERYONE in the rock industry who had died, etc.), but no
resolution was reached.  I bring all this up because today in math
class I had epiphany!  There I was, working away like a good little
Ledbetter at dividing complex numbers, all the while listening to
"Chinese Eyes" on my Walkman.  When I heard Pete sing the line, "When
I finally woke up clean my friend was dead", I said to myself, "He's
talking about Meher Baba."  Then a little cartoon exclamation point
appeared over my head.  "Of course!  Meher Baba!  Why didn't I think
of that before?  It makes perfect sense!"  In fact, it makes such
perfect sense that I'm sure some of you out there have already
thought of it.  But since I couldn't remember seeing anyone post
about it on the list, I decided I'd better do so myself. :)

- -Yellow "Lightning Bug" Ledbetter