Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #133

I have to admit, even though I ranted about not wanting Quad to be
desecrated by conversion into a Broadway show, I would still go see it
(time and money willing) and of course would leap to see any version of
The Lifehouse, whether Rock or Shtick.  This just confirms my Who fan
status.  Like Pete, I contradict myself every few minutes when it comes
to discussing The Who.  My passion speaks first, then I end up
qualifying everything again later; "I don't even know myself".

I'd love to hear or get hold of the Phish-do-Quadrophenia boot that Hart
Deer mentioned.  I still need to get off my lazy butt and sort out my
own boots so I can trade for some of the amazing stuff people on here
have collected.

John's "Who memories" post really hit me hard.

>Thanks for indulging me.  I've heard my "Who room" called many things:  The
>Shrine, The Museum, The Obsession.  I don't care.  Its mine and it makes me
>happy.  I love knowing there many people all over the US that have known me
>over the years who can't hear a Who song without thinking of me.

Now I know that what I've always heard is true.  I've read for years
that, next to Dead Fans, Who Fans were the most fanatical in their
allegiance (and I think for many Dead fans it's the lifestyle not the
music, which isn't the case with Who fans).  Since I was too much a part
of this phenomenon I could never objectively decide if it was true.  I
knew I was a fanatic.  I was the only one of my friends that ever became
obsessed with One Band (or anything else for that matter).  Like John,
people I meet whom I haven't seen in years say to me, "I heard a Who
song the other day and I thought, 'I wonder what Leo's up to?'".  It's
like having a nickname.  Anyway, John's tribute to his Who Room reminded
me how nuts Who freaks are.  Can you really fall in love with a Rock
Group?  Apparently we all have.  When I first saw them live in '82 I
remember walking up the steps outside of the Brendan Byrne Arena in
Jersey and being overwhelmed with a humbling feeling of awe and bliss.
It was like I was about to meet God or something, I knew it was
happening but still couldn't quite comprehend the magnitude of the
moment.  I wasn't disappointed.  In '89 when I got out of college I
travelled to Ireland and England and stayed with relatives in London...
I sat in the Goldhawk Pub in Shepherd's Bush with the same awestruck
feeling.  I went inside Acton Grammar School and just stood there like a
nut imagining how Pete and John once ran through this lobby as the kids
in front of me were doing.  I ended up my Who-Land stalking adventure by
tracking down Eel Pie Island and finally... the Maestro's house.  It was
sunset and I stood on the sidewalk outside Pete's home (at least the guy
at the store down the street said it was) for about five minutes like
some seventh grader.  I left realizing Pete wouldn't particularly want
me to be staring at his window even if one wave from him would have been
the greatest moment of my Who-life.  The sun went down just as I walked
away.  Some of the happiest moments of my life.  I also have a picture
with JAE and me (a friend took it at an Entwistle concert as John was
signing someone else's Who album; because of the flash the shadow of my
profile fell on the side of John.  My shadow on John Entwistle, captured
on film!  Like I said, crazy.  I never had a Who license plate (though I
contemplated it), but every car I've ever owned was named "The
Who-Mobile" by friends and family.  I had planned to paint one all black
with the famous Maximum R&B poster image emblazoned in white on the hood
(never happened unfortunately).
That's all for today (before I get misty).  I'd like to hear other
stories of Who mania.  I'm sure it's some type of gene mutation that
makes us this way.  No doubt the next step in human evolution.
- --Leo