Re: Lifehouse

> Lately I have been reading about Pete's project called
> Lifehouse. My question to you guys is was it ever released?

Bill:

Some of the music was released on WHO'S NEXT, and a little more on his
solo album PSYCHODERELICT. Then there was a BBC radio show which
consisted of interviews with Pete as well as dialogue (and some music,
all previously released in some form) from Lifehouse...although if it
was recorded in `71 or `96 (when the show was made), I cannot say. One
aspect to consider: the hero's name is Ray High, which suggests that the
dialogue was more recent (because the original info had his name as
Bobby).

> if not why not?

Apparently the story was so complex no one could grasp it (except Pete).
He was unable to get it across to anyone. The struggle to get it done
"properly" (Pete's idea of proper, which is several levels above anyone
else's) and subsequent failure drove Townshend close to a nervous
breakdown. The music was turned over to Glyn Johns, who put it together
as WN...an album which pleased everyone but Pete.
What makes the entire thing even more confusing: unlike TOMMY or QUAD,
the music was (for the most part) not meant to tell the story. Some
songs do; it's pretty clear in Behind Blue Eyes, Join Together, Getting
In Tune, and The Song Is Over. Other songs do not seem to relate
directly to the story as it has been described. And it's not clear that
ALL of the songs on WN were Lifehouse material. Adding to this, some
Lifehouse songs surfaced as post-WN singles and later on ODDS & SODS.

> will it ever be?

There's been talk of it, by Pete. However, the current tour has
everything else on hold. If he does turn his attention to it, we may get
a Broadway version (Aiieee!) like he's considered with QUAD. I sincerely
hope neither of them are "treated" to that sort of thing.

> If it was released how was it and where can I get it?

The closest one can come, at the moment, is the Lifehouse Demos...to
which you could add the WN session songs (FYI including Baby, Don't You
Do It). People have posted what songs they think were meant to be
included, and which order...the only thing I know for sure is that Baba
was meant to be the first song, Pure And Easy was the "pivotal" song,
and TSIO the end. JT seems to be the climax song, where the people "join
together" with the band to ascend before the police break in.
But that's a guess, and you're free to make your own once you've gotten
the songs together.

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend