Re: were the Who "On the Bus?"

Kenneth Hawkins writes:
>Instead of working I and two of my colleagues were just
>discussing Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters' legendary
>psychedelic bus trips across America, ca. 1966-67...
>was there a connection between the single Magic Bus
>and the Pranksters' phenonmena?

The song was written in 1966 and, although I've never heard it to be so,
I've always assumed it was inspired by the Pranksters bus trip which was
famous then among acidheads worldwide (which would have included Pete).

>did they play MB at the Monterey Pop Festival in '67?

No.  FYI, they played:
Substitute
Summertime Blues
Pictures Of Lily
A Quick One While He's Away
Happy Jack
My Generation

>would people in the audience have perhaps perceived such a
>connection?

Perhaps they would have in 1967.  By the time The Who version came out in
1968, British critics fobbed it off as another light pop song, nothing
more.

			-Brian in Atlanta