Feedback and feedback about feedback.

> WHITE CITY IS THE SEQUAL TO QUADROPHENIA?!?!

Hart D:

So Pete has said. Given the storyline, I can believe it. If you have
seen the video, there is a scene (at least one) which shows a younger
Jim in a Mod outfit. The vid also has a good interview with Pete after
the "video album."

> I had to go back to the sources to look this up.

>         "It was very much us and The Yardbirds who were into
>          feedback.  I mean, everyone seems to be arguing who
>          invented feedback.  I mean, I did - without a doubt."
                                                   Peter Townshend

Brian:

No doubt in my mind, either. To the other comments here (glad to see so
much participation): yes, The Beatles recorded feedback first. However,
Lennon/McCartney's claim that John "stumbled" upon it by leaving his
guitar near an amp doesn't wash with me. I know The Who were using it in
`64 (Marquee Club boot), and it's hard to believe that they'd just
started (doesn't sound like it). The High Numbers definitely opened for
The Beatles...so unless Lennon was unconscious while the opening bands
were playing, he must have seen it at some point. Not to mention the
"buzz" among the British musicians he must not have heard. As Harrison
might say: "It's all too much" for me to believe.
So recording it first only means (to me) that The Who didn't have a
recording contract yet.

> They didn't "discover" it nor did they master it (as did Who, Kinks, Beck),

Leo:

I'd say that Townshend was the first one to actually control feedback.
Which goes back to what I wrote earlier about Hendrix being influenced
by The Who.

> October 18, 1964.  You have any dates as to when the Who opened for the
> Beatles?

Bryce:

Not here at my store, and maybe not at home...however, it wasn't long
after The Kinks' You Really Got Me was a hit (according to Ray Davies in
X-Ray). The High Numbers replaced The Kinks on the tour when YRGM was
successful enough to allow them to headline. I can find out when the
single charted...when I get home.

> I'd love to hear more of your opinion on why they're the best band ever.

All that? Right now? Do I get an entire digest to myself?
To give you the short version: Please note that I said "...greatest ROCK
band..." The Beatles were more of a Rock N Roll/Pop band...at least
until after The Who appeared on the scene. I'd also say that IMHO
Townshend was the best Rock songwriter (not the best lyricist - Dylan,
or the best music writer - lots of candidates including L/McC, but both
together...Townshend is unsurpassed).
I will go into greater depth if you like. Perhaps a bit at a time as we
discuss them here.

> My name is Ian

And I became aware this year?

Good to see you again, Ian.

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend