Re: Tommy, death, and so forth

Been on a holiday since Sunday, hence no posts until today!

I think the confusion that some people have been expressing about who
died in "Tommy" is perfectly understandable and nothing for everyone
to get all riled up about!  Let's be honest here, the beginning of
the "Tommy" album, on its own, makes almost no sense at all!  Believe
me, I know!  "Tommy" was my second Who album, I bought it in the late
summer or early fall of 1994.  At that time, the only things I knew
about the Who were what I read in the W-X-Y-Z volume of the
encyclopedia. :)  My copy of "Tommy" was the pre-remastered version,
on cassette.  It had the lyrics printed out, but no linear notes or
libretto or anything.  I remember once trying to explain the story
line to a friend, and realizing that I had no idea exactly what it
was that happened to Tommy that was so traumatic!  There is
absolutely no indication at all that anyone was murdered.  I
understood that Mrs. Walker had been having an affair, and that this
had led to some sort of unpleasant confrontation between her (and her
lover?  I wasn't sure) and Captain Walker.  But I had no clue as to
the nature of this confrontation, and there's no way I could have
guessed that the lover, or Captain Walker, or ANYONE had been rubbed
out.  I'm not at all surprised that many people would be confused by
all this.  In fact, I think it's more surprising that any of us
managed to figure out the story line at all!

And I don't take too well to the idea of there being one definitive
interpretation of "Tommy" anyway.  That goes against everything I
believe about art.  Pete may have one way he sees it in his head, but
there's no reason why anyone else should feel exactly the same way
about it.  If there was only one way to look at "Tommy", then I don't
think it would be a very good musical/artistic/dramatic work.  Just
my opinion.

- -Yellow "Tuna fish" Ledbetter