Song Of The Century

Here's something we can all do now that's we've decided what our favorite
Who song is:

     Subject:        Song Of The Century: A Chance To Reminisce And Vote
         SAN DIEGO, March 13 /PRNewswire/ -- As the foreshocks of
millennia
     mania intensify, one group has begun a quest for the "Song of the
     Century."
         "It's preposterous to call any song the song of the century,"
says
     Stephen Babbitt, the leader of Song of the Century, a new poll-based

     music
     award which will be given on the eve of the new millennium.  "And
     that's
     not what we're trying to do.  We're a poll based award -- a forum.
     But
     more than that, we want people to come together and talk about their
     favorite music.  Song of the Century is more than another award --
     it's our
     chance to look back at an incredible century of music."
         Babbitt had the idea in 1996 to begin an internet poll, asking
     what
     peoples' favorite songs were on his personal home page.  Amazed at
the
     response to his largely unpublicized poll, he decided to take the
idea
     further.  Now he has launched a dedicated web page,
     www.SongoftheCentury.com, to bring together even more music fans.
         The centerpiece of the Song of the Century poll will be the
award,
     which the group plans to give in several categories on New Year's
eve
     in
     1999.  But the group is also planning television and radio
countdowns
     and
     massive music events on the eve of the new millennium.
         Song of the Century crew is passionate about music education too,
     and a
     portion of the new Web site called "20th Century Music" profiles
20th
     century music greats.
         Voters will also receive a free newsletter slated to debut in
     April.
     Babbitt is determined to keep the awards process fun, and plans to
     include
     special offers from sponsors in the newsletter and on the page.
     Voters are
     also entered in a sweepstakes for music prizes.
         To receive as many opinions from beyond the web as possible, the

     group
     plans to license in-store voting at kiosks in music retail outlets.

     Until
     then, voters can send a postcard with their name, address, age and
     favorite
     song to "Song of the Century, PO Box 84401, San Diego, CA  92138."
         Can Song of the Century keep up with other awards?  Says
Babbitt,
     "We
     don't have to.  We're blazing our own trail -- the people's trail.
     We're
     not pushing record sales.  We're reminiscing about the greatest
     century in
     music history."