Hendrix, Zep, & Pete's environment

> The story that you tell here is essentially correct,but what you fail to
> mention is that Hendrix died *not* because the ambulance was too late,but
> because of of the incompetence of the ambulance attendants.

Ian:

This is the story I've heard as well.

> I would say it was more than the lyrics that suffered.

Kevin:

Yes, you're right. I was being general. The music now called Heavy Metal
has zero innovation and pretty mindless subject matter. The music is
15th generation Zep (and still going...and going...) at best. Death
Metal differs, of course, but still isn't anything significant. Just
boring, at least to me.
But then, I'd say that about Rock music in general. Every once in a
while a new band might impress me for an album...maybe two...then
they're gone.
(sigh) They just don't make `em like they used to...

> So Pete grew up in a household where the jazz
> standards were part of daily life.

A very good point. Pete's songs weren't as structured as those with a
heavy Blues influnce, and Jazz is known for being exploratory. His
guitar-playing COULD be labeled as Jazz...except that it's so completely
Rock (which he invented, etc. etc.).

> Would it be cynical of me to speculate that they renamed it in an
> attempt to claim it as a song they wrote, rather than a cover?

Perhaps. My thinking is that the song was mislabeled by a subordinate
who was unfamiliar with Killing Floor...but that's just a guess and
giving them the benefit of the doubt. As many drugs as they were
probably taking about then, I still can't imagine the band feeling they
could get away with such a blatant rip-off. They did do some original
and innovative music, after the first two albums (and before the
seventh). And with the success of the first album under their belt, they
hardly needed to "cheat."

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend