QUAD reviews

> As I recall, Quad was received pretty well by most critics, and was
> not panned.

Dave:

As I remember it, the album was panned by the major mags. Once again,
the amazing Brian comes through with proof:

> Lenny Kaye in Rolling Stone (Dec. 20, 1973) a wordy and somewhat negative
> review.
>
> Dave Marsh in Creem (Jan. 1974) a negative review.

> Lester Bangs in Stereo Review (Feb. 1974) As good as any records being
> produced by current rock bands but Bangs questions the need for anyone to
> record a rock opera.

> Mike Jahn in High Fidelity (Feb. 1974) a negative review.

Rolling Stone was THE music magazine at the time (boy has that
changed!). I didn't look to Newsweek etc. for my album reviews (guess I
should have, and you must have). I recall reviews that said things like:
"All the songs sound the same," "There's something going on in there,
but it's impossible to get to it," "One long song," and "Muddy; hard to
penetrate."
I was in the US, and had no idea what they were saying in the UK. But
I'm not surprised. They certainly had a better understanding of the Mod
aspect. However, I contend that is not necessary for appreciating the
album. It's just the backdrop for the universal adolescent conflict
described in the lyrics. Interesting, but not essential.
I also remember that, contrary to WN, QUAD got almost NO airplay. I
never heard the single 5:15 on the radio ONCE.
As for myself, I got it for Xmas `73 and immediately sat down with some
headphones. After listening to the the entire thing, I KNEW it was the
best thing the band had ever done, and the single greatest Rock album
ever released. It was magic! And in 24 years I've yet to hear an album
that would cause me to change that opinion.

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend