Re: Pete's checkbook and Quad

Dave Elliott writes:
>As I recall, Quad was received pretty well by most critics (though I
>do
>remember one saying that Quad was easier to appreciate than enjoy),
>and was
>not panned.

This was stated in John Atkins latest issue of Generations magazine (#16)
and since I recently got a book that lists the reviews I thought I'd
check it out:

Chris Welch in Melody Maker (Oct. 20, 1973) A masterpiece.  The Who's
greatest work.  Will make everyone forget about "Tommy."

John Peel in Listener (Nov. 8, 1973) As much of an advance over "Tommy"
as "Tommy" was over "A Quick One."

Hubert Saal in Newsweek (Nov. 12, 1973) One of the 4 great milestones in
rock history.

John Rowntree in Records and Recording (Dec. 1973) The Who's finest
lyrical achievement.

Lenny Kaye in Rolling Stone (Dec. 20, 1973) a wordy and somewhat negative
review.

Dave Marsh in Creem (Jan. 1974) a negative review.  Marsh wonders how The
Who can put out so very few successful albums and still remain a great
band.

Lester Bangs in Stereo Review (Feb. 1974) As good as any records being
produced by current rock bands but Bangs questions the need for anyone to
record a rock opera.

Mike Jahn in High Fidelity (Feb. 1974) a negative review.  He says
"Quadrophenia" has no plot but would have been a masterpiece if it
contained "words that one could follow!"

Les Daniels in Fusion (March 1974) The Who's most polished work but not
as universal as "Tommmy."

Dave Marsh in Creem (March 1974) Marsh reconsiders his earlier review but
says he still does not find the subject matter easily accessible or the
music a success.

Janis Schacht in Circus (April 1974) The Who "have never sounded better,
fuller or stronger" and this may be their best album.

Nigel Rogers in New Musical Express (June 22, 1974) Nominates
"Quadrophenia" for best rock album calling it "the greatest exposition of
the rock 'n' roll ethic ever produced."

Steve Simels in Stereo Review (Dec. 1974) In a review of "Odds and Sods,"
finds it more satisfying than "Quadrophenia."

Ed Ward in Creem (Jan. 1975) Also prefers "Odds and Sods" to
"Quadrophenia."

John Mendelsohn in Rolling Stone's "10 Great Years" article collection
(Fall 1975):  Extremely boring.  The actual music tends to sound
decidedly flatulent.  Daltrey's singing is overblown and stagy.

So although "Quadrophenia" got early rave reviews from the British press,
the U.S. press was mixed to negative in its response.  Also some of the
main U.S. publications for rock fans (Rolling Stone, Creem) were negative
in their views which is what led, I believe, to the view of
"Quadrophenia" as a critical failure.

				-Brian in Atlanta