Frank Zappa & Pete Townshend

I bought a book this weekend, a biography of the late Frank Zappa.
I'm a big Zappa fan, but I've never really noticed the parallels
between his work and Townshend's work.  Obviously, musically speaking
they are poles apart, both in terms of technique and style (Zappa
couldn't play chords for about a year after first playing a guitar),
but they both abviously had similar ambitions for an all encompassing
body of work.  Whereas Townshend seems to obsessed by producing the
"Opus Magnum", _the_ definitive piece of rock music, Zappa, while
following similar lines, has gone for "Conceptual Continuity".  This
means that every album is related to every other album in some way
(through lyrics, musical phrases, subject matter etc.).  My point is
this:  If Townshend had taken this approach, would his output of
songs been even greater??? Zappa has well over 60 albums of original
material on the go.  This is great - you can sift out the crap you
don't like.  There must be hundreds of Townshend compositions out
there that Pete didn't release because they didn't fit in to Tommy,
Lifehouse or Quadrophenia........
Citywatch Ltd
Tel: +44 171 929 7706
Fax: +44 171 929 7022