Re: Won't Get Fooled Again

Regarding WGFA, Mark wrote:

>> I think Townshend wrote this as a reaction to Woodstock.

>Now this definitely could be true...especially if you're talking about
>the Abbie Hoffman incident! I've always thought that WGFA was a reaction
>to the countercultural revolution in the US. He was telling them (us)
>how it usually turns out.
>The Woodstock ideal, or the so-called hippie dream, wasn't what PT
>touched on in WGFA (however much he may have hated it). The song is
>about active revolution, which was (at best) a fringe part of the `60s
>hippie lifestyle (which was a social revolution rather than political).
>And not much of a factor at the Woodstock festival.

I never considered WGFA a song about active revolution, unless it was a
shunning of it.  IMO the song is about remaining indifferent to the
various revolutions (social and political) which swirl around us.  "Pick
up my guitar and play, just like yesterday"; it makes no difference
whose holding the flag as long as you don't get "fooled again" into
believing in leaders.  There was a political element to Woodstock, at
least an attempted one.  Country Joe's "Fixin' To Die Rag" (aka 'Whatta
we fightin for?'), Hendrix's air strike "Star Spangled Banner" and
lastly Abbie Hoffman's pathetic sniveling during The Who's set were all
political statements to some extent.  After the Chicago Seven trial
Hoffman was certainly viewed as a political figure of national
notoriety.  I think you're right to cite the Hoffman incident as a
possible inspiration for WGFA.  "Say what you want, but not on my
stage!"  The funny thing is, MG is often cited as a model for the Punk
songs of the Seventies, but WGFA is just as cynical as "Anarchy In The
U.K." ever was.

By the way, I have a cassette tape boot of The Who's complete
performance at Woodstock (a wretched dub, no doubt from as many
generations as it took Adam and Eve to beget Abbie Hoffman).  Since I
hear rumors there was film footage shot of this festival (huh huh) I was
wondering if anyone out there in the fields has a video of The Who's
performance.  I've already seen the Woodstock film, TKAA, and all the
other official releases with Woodstock snippets; I'm looking for the
whole enchilada.  If nothing else, does anyone have the footage of Pete
whacking Abbie Hoffman.  I've HEARD it but I'd love to see it!  It's got
to be out there somewhere.
I'm taking this weekend to get off my butt and sort out my own Who boots
for trade.
Let me know anyone.
- --Leo