Re: concert enthusiasm?

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 17:32:00 -0400, "KATHLEEN L. PASQUALE"
<KLPasquale@compuserve.com> wrote:

>Frank;
>
>I am sorry to hear that you thought the boys were a little lack luster
>during the recent show you attended.  Do you think maybe it had a lot to=
 do
>with the audience?
>
>I like to equate concert going to human sexuality; every partner has to
>bring something to the mix or it just doesn't work.  There is an =
intimacy
>that happens between the audience and the performer which if very =
fragile.=20
>Being a woman I ofcourse have a very different perspcetive but I will do=
 my
>best to explain my theory.
>
>Think of the performer as the man.  The amount of confidence it takes to
>expose yourself to the expectation of so many.  You are expected to =
perform
>and  completely gratify the audience (your partner)  without fail.  It =
is a
>tremendous risk; risk of failure, humiliation; of losing everything you
>have worked for.
>
>The audience (being the woman) should recognize the efforts & risks =
taken
>by the performers and  outwardly display thier gratitude from the moment
>the lights go down.  Show them that you want to be there and take part =
in
>the show and not just be a bystander.  I believe it enhances the purity =
of
>the experience.  You both know what your there for;; there is no =
question
>of that so stop playing coy.  Get up scream, cheer, dance, whatever but
>just do it!  Just don't wait for the earth to move  because it might be =
too
>late.

I think your theory is essentially correct. I know that the crowd at
Pine Knob was *very* responsive, and the lads played a fabulous
concert. People are still talking about it here on the radio,saying
things like "Can you believe that crowd Friday night?" or what a
great concert it was, etc. As a performer myself I am certain that
there is some kind of connection, whether you want to call it
psychic energy or whatever, that makes a performance a joint
endeavor.

- --=20
Kevin B. O'Brien                  TANSTAAFL
kob1@ix.netcom.com
"A damsel with a dulcimer in a vision once I saw." -- Coleridge

Help fight SPAM. Join CAUCE. http://www.cauce.org/