The Who: Legends

Well, I just finished watching it.  I imagine it'll get trashed here, but
do sympathize with the producers.  I tried to write a concise history of
The
Who (available at www.thewho.net) but, try as I might, the job was almost
impossible.  Their history is just too large and ungainly for easy
incapsulization.  Next to The Who's history, The Beatles' is a simple
little
story.  And that took 3 nights of 2 hours each! (even longer if you get
the
video).

So that's why no song lasts longer than 10 seconds throughout.  Just
getting
from point to point just isn't possible without having the narrator read
at breakneck speed.

And speaking of narrators, who picked Levon Helm?  Did he annoy you as
much as he did me?  For a while I thought it was Billy Bob Thornton.  At
any minute I expected him to say, "some people call it a rock opera, I
call it a slingblade, a-yep."

It was also fairly accurate if incredibly rushed.  Two mistakes I noticed
were the implication that Pete wrote Tommy during the Herman's Hermits
tour (a few months later was when that started) and that Pete was
disappointed in the U.S. chart action for "I Can See For Miles"  (it was
the British chart action that depressed him).

But it was also fun to see The Who ads for Lakewood Amphitheatre during
every commercial break even if they did imply that it was just a Who
greatest hits show.  Oh well, I'll be having a great time.  I like them
whatever they play.

And what about that guy at the beginning implying that there might be a
new Who album in the works?  "If they record you'll hear it here first."
I don't think so.

Is there anybody who's a Who history beginner that saw this?  What was
your take?  Was it too fast and confusing or could you keep up?  I'd like
to know.

				-Brian in Atlanta