Radio Interview, Bootlegs, Radio Broadcasts, Reviews

I have the PT interview from 6/14/97 that was on the radio along with a
rare Moon interview from 1975.  For those of you that want to trade
please let me know.  I have other bootlegs that  I have to offer as
well. The problem is that they are packed away somewhere. Once I find
them I post what I have and then I'll be able to trade.

Was the St. Louis show a live radio broadcast?  If so why wasn't the
bloody list informed.  Come on people.

Chicago SunTimes Review:
The Who at the New World Music Theatre

July 22, 1997

Pete Townshend didn't need to justify anything to the near sell-out crowd
Sunday night at the New World
Music Theatre.

The Who had finished a devastatingly potent set, and the delirious
audience would have swooned over
anything that Townshend might have uttered.

But the Who's legendary guitarist-songwriter chose to explain why the
band had reunited to perform
``Quadrophenia,'' his rock opera from 1973.

``We brushed it up,'' Townshend said almost bashfully, ``because it
sounds great.''

Aging bands tour for many reasons, but rarely ``because it sounds
great.'' When a colossus like the Who
decides to crank the amps because something sounds great, it's time to
hold tight to your seats.

``Quadrophenia'' is the story of Jimmy, an alienated teen caught up in
the turf and identity clashes among 1960s
British youth. Jimmy dresses himself in the uniform of the Mods--skinny
ties, four-button suits--and sits astride
a multimirrored scooter. He yearns to belong, hates the rival Rockers and
dismisses a shrink's suggestion that
he's schizophrenic by diagnosing himself instead as ``quadrophenic.''
Jimmy's messed up.

Few moments in rock are more dramatic than when the Who launches
``Quadrophenia.'' Recorded strains of
crashing ocean waves molded a womb around the theater until flood lights,
three slashing guitars and the mighty
silhouette of singer Roger Daltrey slashed through the smoke and darkness
to deliver Jimmy's dilemma in ``The
Real Me.'' This was the time to drink in the whole of the Who: John
Entwistle's hopscotching lyrical bass,
Townshend's furious strumming, Daltrey's heroic mike cord twirling and
Zak Starkey's fluid-as-Moon kit
work.

The rest of ``Quadrophenia'' was equally exhilarating. ``Cut My Hair''
rang sweet and innocent as sung by
Townshend, but grew massive when handed off to Daltrey's
made-for-the-sheds pipes. The rollicking ``5:15''
showcased a precision five-piece horn section, while the emotional
``Drowned'' allowed Townshend to marry
an achingly pretty melody to some of the nastiest rhythm guitar playing
seen in these parts for ages. Starkey
posseses speed and power--and an obvious love of Townshend's writing.

The Who played a generous encore with predictable classics such as
``Won't Get Fooled Again,'' ``Behind
Blue Eyes'' and a particularly hard-rocking ``Substitute.'' But make no
mistake; the magic Sunday was in
``Quadrophenia.'' Because it still sounds great.

Bob Kurson