Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #20

> Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 17:39:18 -0500 (EST)
> From: pcb5@cornell.edu
> Subject: Re:It's Hard and Face Dances
>
> I have to object to someone post saying that if Keith lived that It's
> Hard and Face Dances would never have happened.  After all in "The Music
> Must Change" in 78, it's all about the music being different. (obviously).

Well, I wrote that post, and my reasoning was that I think that Pete
wrote songs around Kenny, and it mearly came out like pop sounds.

Some of the songs on Face Dances are, to me, very weird.
"There aint no bears in there" ?

It's almost like Pete wrote deliberatley drunk and stoned and that
was only to fill out the record contract.

It's Hard - Well, It's not really as weird more than it is just
plain weak. Hardly any electric guitar, or any gusto.
(Althought I do admit that Eminence Front is very strong )

Actually, I must be a little hypocrite and say that there
are a few moments that I like on IH, Athena, Dangerous.
(Cry If You Want is ok - but the 1982 Toronto show gave
 us a great live version with an extended drum middle.)

Compare Who Are You to Face Dances. There is a dramatic change
in only 2 years. And one death. You go from "trick of the light"
to "did you steal my money"...

I'm not criticizing your taste. If you like those two albums
thats great. I can bearly stand most of both, and that's only
cause it's Pete, but what I am saying is the work may have been
alot stronger if not for Keiths death.

Again...IMO.