Re[2]: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #38

     I don't think the Quad tour was mega-advertised on purpose. Townshend
     has stated for years now that touring is not his cup of tea anymore!
     He felt good about the success Tommy had on-stage and experimented
     with the concept of putting Quad on-stage at MSG...the phenomenal
     success of those shows (I saw two that week!) proved to him that he
     could take it on the road for a "limeted" tour.
     I traveled to NY from Boston this past summer to see TED (It was never
     advertised as "The Who") because of my devotion to the band (and that
     particular piece of work). I was lucky four months later when I
     learned (again by word of mouth, not advertising) that Quad was coming
     to Worcester, Ma. Again I saw the show and I believe even more fine
     tuned than the MSG shows. I got into a quasi e-mail war with a local
     DJ because he had spouted off that he was being "Forced" to go to see
     The Who that night...needless to say I was outraged! He was put off
     that they were just putting on these "Glamour" shows (Tommy, Quad) and
     were'nt really The Who anymore. He was pissed off about "All the extra
     musicians" on stage. In my opinion, the extra musicians only served to
     enhance what is a "Technically" difficult musical score. I challenged
     him to tell me after seeing the show if it was a waste of
     time...needless to say, he reponded back the next day saying how he
     was amazed at how outstanding the show was...I even got him to say
     on-air that the show was great! As I told him, I guess it touched a
     nerve that this original attitude was being spouted out on the
     airwaves to a whole new generation of music listeners that didn't even
     know who The Who were. He wasn't even giving them a chance the make
     their own minds up about it. When I was 20, I never could relate to
     the Generation gap (Even though Townshend had sung to me about it),
     but now that I'm older, I really do recognize it. I don't know if I
     can relate to what the younger kids are dealing with now. I realize
     this is a whole differnt discussion for another time! I've rambled
     long enough now....We get hungover but we always survive it...