Charlotte and Atlanta

Here are my brief impressions about the Charlotte and Atlanta shows.
Very brief about Charlotte because, like an idiot, I got too drunk
that night.  I certainly had a great time but I was oblivious to a
lot of what was going on.  I think the band was holding back a little
at Charlotte.  I could well be wrong (I was drunk) but it seemed like
the show was a little conservative.  Not too many windmills and they
were saved for the last third of QUAD.  Roger sang well but seemed to
lack power.  I was pleasantly surprised by Simon.  I didn't know he
would be right out in front wailing away.  He is quite a showman.  We
got the standard 5 encores without any extras like NE, MB, or TKAA.
I don't even remember Pete introducing the musicians. Did he?  The
crowd was great at Charlotte.  I think everyone in the seated area
stood for the whole show.

I got to the Atlanta show late and missed the pre-show gathering.
Sorry guys!  I decided to stay sober at Atlanta and had an even better
time than the night before.  I was in the fifth row slightly to the
side of Pete.  Again the crowd was great and stood the whole time, at
least as far as I could tell.  Pete played mostly acoustic on QUAD
with TRM on electric as well as the latter parts of the piece.  Roger
sang incredibly well.  He nailed all the high notes in QUAD time
and time again.  His voice was powerful and flexible.  Pete wailed on
electric towards the end of  QUAD and also in the encores.  Again we
just got the standard 5 song encore but with tremendous energy from
the band.  The high point of the show was ICE when the crowd just
went wild and Pete flying incredibly on electric, clearly getting
into the performance and having a great time.  There were actually a
number of times when Pete improvised tremendous virtuoso electric
solos while taking on the postures of a typical rock god.  Amazing.

I thought that 1989 was a great performance (I saw them in Foxboro
stadium in MA) but in retrospect it was too canned.  Last night
flowed smoothly and was certainly well rehearsed but left room for
spontaneity.  I also saw them in Philly in 1982 but that was the
stripped-down and raw TED.  Stripped down, raw, and electric sounds
great for most of their songs but other songs need the extra
musicians or they just don't sound right.  It is really hard for me
to compare the Atlanta show with the earlier stadium shows I saw
because in '82 and '89 I was miles from the stage.  If I try to
compare I come to the conclusion that last night was far better than
'82 and '89.  I see why people have been saying these are the best
shows since the early '70s.  The only thing that is missing now is
Keith.  Of course Keith was a mixed blessing.  I am satisfied with
how Zak is approximating Keith but what I miss is a drummer who is
also a showman.  A drummer that competes with Roger and Pete.  That's
what made the old Who the greatest live rock band ever.  Three people
all trying to be the center of attention.

Yes Keith is gone and isn't coming back.  The Who will never be the
same.  But there is one way in which the Who is better now than when
Keith was alive.  Pete is a far better electric guitar player.  Look
at the 30 years of Maximum R&B video (buy it if you don't have it).
Pete botches lead after lead in the old days.  Last night in Atlanta he was
was brilliant.  He was probably brilliant in Charlotte too but I was
too drunk to notice.  How stupid of me.  I am curious about what
others say about Charlotte.  Maybe it would awaken a few memories of
the show.

The Who are, today, still, currently, as of now, the greatest live
rock band ever.

"My hairline ain't exactly superstar"

Frank