Re: The Who as an influence

> Mark,
> Nice job on your Who as influence message.  You hit the nail on the head
> about WHO ARE YOU also.

Leo:

Why, thanks!

> Where will the Spice Girls be in twenty years?

Probably in the racks of my store, untouched. Of course, if I had some
of their CDs now I could sell the shit out of them.

> I agree that The Who influenced The Beatles, but I think
> you skimp out on how the Fab Four influenced The Who.  Pete wouldn't be
> playing that Rickenbacker
> Neither would The Byrds, The Hollies, etc.

That's not the influence I was writing of, and I agree with you about
Rickenbackers. I meant as far as the songwriting and performance styles.

> Finally,
> although Dylan is the reason for the maturing of the lyric writing in
> both The Beatles and The Who (and yes, everyone else), The Beatles
> returned the favor by influencing him.

This is true, however Dylan was attracted to electric music before The
Beatles...check out his BIOGRAPHY set. There are several RnR songs on
there which were recorded pre-Beatles. Not having it in front of me to
check the dates, I believe Please Crawl Out Your Window is one example.

> these guys all influenced each other, it was never a one way street.

This is also true. Please don't get the idea that when someone states an
example of an influence, that precludes any other influence (or return
influence). Rock music is an incestious beast...

> PS - Unfair to say that the Great Mitch Mitchell was a Moon clone
> although his style was very similar.

I've written enough about my feelings about what Hendrix got from The
Who elsewhere, but I should say that my Moon-clone statement wasn't
meant to be an absolute. I was referring to his role in the JHE, which
was very similar to Moon's role in The Who, regarding the entire sound
achieved.

> To Wally, why is a Who fan
> tearing down another Who fan who's providing info for more Who fans.

Because he is driven to find a way to make himself feel "superior," even
if it means insulting a teen-age girl who's never done him any harm.

> I agree this should
> be a Who list first and foremost, but debating the connection other
> groups had to The Who just enriches MY understanding of the boys.

Nothing exists in a vaccuum. If the discussion here was about The Who
and only The Who, it would quickly get repetitious. There has to be some
room to move about, and who influenced The Who and the music scene
around them is (IMHO) as valid a topic as "I got my tickets!"

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend