Re: The Who as an influence

Mark, re. Jimi

>I'm nothing if not fair. His live performances...would they have been
>quite as wild and untamed had The Who not pioneered that particular
>"abandoned" bass-drums-guitar sound? Or would he have been playing a
>cleaner electric Blues, closer to what Cream did? Would he even have
>been a power trio band?
>We'll never know for sure...so I can only offer this IMHO.

Without doubt, Hendrix's live performances relied heavily on Who type
showmanship.  I think his music was influenced by a number of factors,
The Who being only one of many influences on Jimi.  More than anything
else, he seemed to enjoy the artistic freedom he had in England and the
exposure to a constantly changing exciting musical/cultural scene.

Visually, I enjoy the Experience but if I had to choose a Hendrix era on
audible merit I'd either choose his pre-Experience work or his post
Experience projects.  When I listen to Hendrix I tend to avoid the
Experience, I prefer the funky stuff.

- --
Gary L