Pete's Banjo Days

>I wonder how much of this rhythm-as-lead approach Pete picked
>up from playing banjo (which I believe he learned prior to
>the guitar as an influence from his father's dixieland jazz
>band days).

I believe Pete was playing the guitar before the banjo. I
remember some story told by John that in the pre-Detours days
someone was talking about this great dixiland banjo player and
Pete started boasting about how he could play better and made
a bet.  He then went & bought (or borrowed) a banjo and learned
to play in a matter of days.

Has anyone else heard this one.  I can't remember if I read it
in one of my books or hear it in an interview with Entwistle.

KLP

PS.  Sorry in advance to Alan.  I normally don't have time
to proof read my posts but I will try to from now on so please
teacher don't flunk me; give me another chance.