Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #101

 on Sat, 26 Apr 1997 13:53:57 -0400
> Toby Elwin <taelwin@seacoast.com> wrote about
> Subject: Personal Who Triumph
>
> Hello all!
>
> I've been on this list for over a year, I thought I'd share a personal
> story which shows how much The Who means to me, and probably a story
> most can relate to as to where The Who falls in others lives.
>
> I have just taken a position at a company to move to China.  The first
> thought I had was if I might still be around for The Who's upcoming tour
> of the states--no dice.  I jumped on the mailing list and looked high
> and low for any dates I might be able to see them, since I am leaving in
> June.  After some creative search engines I confirmed a date in England
> at Wembley for May 18.

You are braver than most people I know to take a job on the other side of
the world.  I can't imagine what that would be like....are you SURE????!

> My sister lives in London, she picked up tickets for me and 20 others.
> So, I tie in a trip with her and I will see The Who on their native soil
> before I go to the Far East.  Too Cool!!!  Especially since I don't
> envision them hitting China too soon.
>
> Everyone has asked if I am nervous to go, the only nervousness was
> missing The Who, I've not missed them on any tour I've been alive for.
> Does any one else relate to this passion?

During the 76 tour, I was a brand new fan at the tender age of 14 and was
ecstatic to hear about this tour.  This was my BIG CHANCE to actually be in
the same room with these people I worshipped but never met!!!!  I still
remember the feeling I had when my friend called me to say that our check
had been returned from the pool for the Madison Square Garden shows....I
immediately began to cry like a baby.  Being 14 I had very little resources
at my disposal to get  in contact with scalpers, not to mention no money to
pay what I am sure they were asking.  My parents were pleased I couldn't
go...what mother wants their 14 year old daughter in New York City?  I
still feel badly that they really dismissed what I was feeling at the time;
I was essentially told to forget about it and even called crazy for my
behavior.  Anyway, as I spent the day doing my chores, a resolve grew
inside to NEVER under any circumstances miss a show if I could avoid it.
It's been working out well, I saw 8 last year and plan to see 6 this year.
I have to miss the House Of Blues show in June, but if I know Pete, he'll
come to NY.
Are you going to any shows in the US?  IF so which one(s)?

> P.S. Is a new ablum too much to wish for also?

Unfortunately, I think so.  I have a copy of Quad at the Garden if you
would like one-please E-Mail me.

jacqueline