Tommy Live and Studio

Someone commented that Tommy seemed to sound better live than in the
studio.

That person has discovered the entire essence of The Who.

Not to cut down The Who's studio tracks, but I have yet to find one
that I like better than any live version of it I have heard.  And not
to get into the Zeppelin/Who debates, but I own a few Zeppelin live
albums, and those songs just don't hold the appel that The Who's live
songs do.  The Who were unique, in that the performance was
everything, and they gave it everything, and hopefully still will.  I
haven't broadened my mind a lot out to the post-Keith era, other than
a respect for what Pete has been doing, and an ignorance of what
everyone else has been doing.  If anyone could give some sort of
timeline, it would be appreciated.

"It's the singer, not the Song"

Andy Steinke