Who/Zep/& Cameron Crowe

Good lord, it's great to blab about the Who every day with people who
love them as much as I do.  I've only been on this list for about a week
so forgive me if I'm still hyperventilating with Who mania!  As I'm sure
most of you know, it's a cold world for the Who outside this mailing
list (and other Who sites).  I still can't watch a Tarantino film, or
listen to a Steve Miller tune without getting angry and turning it off
(both "artists" took great pains to smear the Who in different articles;
Tarantino in Playboy, Steve Miller in, if I remember right, Rolling
Stone Mag's twenty year tribute to Monterey Pop).  So I consider this
list a welcome shelter from the Who bashing storm I usually deal with.
That said, I'm also throwing my two cents in to a couple of messages I
just read on here.
	To George Beck and Dave Reaboi regarding Who - Zep head to head
comparisons.  I agree and disagree with various points you make (yep-
Jimmy is technically a better guitarist and was more innovative on six
string, although Pete plays rhythm better than anyone; I probably give
Plant the vote for best voice, but no one sang with the therapeutic
ferociousness of Mr. Daltrey, the angriest howl in Rock).  One other
thing about Moonie vs Bonzo.  I agree, the biggest difference between
the two band styles comes in the drumming, but I think this was as much
due to the producing as it was to the drummers.  Keith's sharp, crisp
drum sound was consistent throughout the Sixties recordings despite the
revolving door of engineers and producers involved (talented and
talentless alike).  Bonzo on the other hand had a sound that was
virtually invented by Page, an engineering genius.  The fat full sound
of Bonzo's kit was brilliantly conceived, miked and mixed by Jimmy.
Bonzo is no doubt the hardest hitter and one of the best drummers in
Rock, but the legendary Thunder Booms of songs like "When The Levee
Breaks" are to a great extent Page's engineering.  There's a story in
the "Full Moon" book where Moonie gets on stage with Zep and he and
Bonzo both bash away at Bonzo's kit as it rises above the stage.  What I
would have sold to see that!!
	Dave, I also disagree with your comment, "both pete and jimmy got into
heavy drugs in the early 80s, after both looked-down on clapton for
letting heroin mess him up".  I can't speak for Page, but Pete Townshend
masterminded Clapton's Rainbow show comeback in the early Seventies; the
event which gave Clapton back to us and got him off smack for life.
Clapton has thanked Pete endlessly in print for basically saving his
life and career.  What Pete did to himself is another story of course,
but he never looked down on Clapton for his addiction.  He just helped
pick him up out of it. Also on "Pete would rather kill himself than
make music like WGFA anymore. it's great, but you mature, right?".  Pete
would be lucky if he could EVER write a song like WGFA again and he
knows it.  You never "mature" above that song, some just get too old and
senile to appreciate it anymore.  Hope I die before I get THAT old.
(PS:Yessirree! Gabriel Genesis definitely beats Collins Genesis cold).
	Brian in Atlanta.  Yes!! Cameron Crowe and Marty Scorsese!! Monster Who
fans.  Scorsese has the best soundtracks in cinema.  Cameron Crowe
constantly thumps the Who drum in his movies.  As far back as Fast Times
At Ridgemont High (he wrote) we've got that cool Poster of Pete with his
bleeding hand staring into the camera.  Later in Crowe's film, Singles,
we've got grunge rocker Matt Dillon bemoaning the fact that no one makes
songs like the Who anymore.  God Bless You Cameron!
	Shutting up now.
- -Leo