Re: Live at Leeds / My Generation

>Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 18:06:21 PST
>From: briancady@juno.com (Brian S Cady)
>Subject: Re: Sparks v. Sparks
>
>Maybe this will answer your question about why "My Generation" is the way
>it is on "Live At Leeds."  These are Pete's remarks immediately before
>The Who launch into it:
>

>"We'd like to say goodbye, now. (Audience groans) It's a long time to go
>yet, in actual fact.  We do a number now which is kind of a little bit
>of everything.  Mainly, it's mostly The Who and it's mostly The Who of
>about three years ago and probably mixed in are little bits of The Who
>today and this is the [something] is more or less our hymn.  The reason
>we reprise 'Tommy' in it, in other word we repeat a bit of it, is to mix
>all the bits of our history together in a one, great, huge, deafining
>din.  And this is dedicated to you, really, because you've been really
>incredibly kind and nice and friendly and that. (audience goes "awwwww")
>No, really, considering (Keith says something), it's really wonderful to
>be back in Leeds consdiering, yeah I was just going to say, remembering
>the last time. [Pete indecipherable for a bit]  Anyway, we'll make it up
>for you know with a special, long, drawn-out version of 'My Generation.'"
>(Audience cheers).
>
>				-Brian in Atlanta
>
>------------------------------

Many thanks for clearing that up Brian. For years I have been harbouring
the suspicion that rock's greatest live moment was a studio composite, and
am very happy that it is not. It is interesting that that sort of
improvisatory jam is almost unknown among live acts today. I can't think of
a contemporary band with the ability or balls (including the contemporary
version of The Who) to just launch into a song and then see where it takes
them (Zeppelin used to do the same thing). It explains the dullness of most
recent live recordings.
Martin O. Screech		E-Mail: screech@bc.sympatico.ca
"Trapped in Nanaimo"		Home: (250) 390 - 4826
				Work: (250) 754 - 1295