Live At Leeds / Isle of Wight

Actually, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more discussion
contrasting Isle of Wight with Live At Leeds. My feeling is that,
although I am delighted to have Isle of Wight, it is inferior in almost
all respects to Leeds. The big difference seems to be Keith: at Leeds he
was on the top of his game, propelling the music forward, whereas on the
Isle of Wight recording he is sloppy and seems to lag behind the rest of
the band (drunk, sleepy or both). One of the charms of Isle of Wight is
that it contains all sorts of botched harmonies and minor guitar
screw-ups which haven't been edited out.

Perhaps somebody out there with the bootleg version of the entire Leeds
show can answer a question for me. "My Generation" on Live at Leeds
contains chunks of Tommy. If the band played roughly the same set at Isle
of Wight as Leeds then that means that the Tommy portions would have been
played twice: once during the run through of Tommy and then again during
that number. This seems a bit unlikely, so there could be two other
explanations: either the band didn't do Tommy in its entirety at Leeds,
or "My Generation" is a composite with portions of Tommy edited in ( the
<italic>horror). </italic>Can anybody help?

Martin O. Screech		E-Mail: screech@bc.sympatico.ca

"Trapped in Nanaimo"		Home: (250) 390 - 4826

				Work: (250) 754 - 1295