Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V3 #592

At 8:53 10/25/96, TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com wrote:
>From: "Anthony B. Wilson" <anthonyw@netzone.com>
>Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:35:52 -0700
>Subject: WHOot about Phoenix
>
>What a great concert!  First of all, who opened for the Who in Phoenix?

The Hypocrites.  IMO they didn't suck.

>I was told by someone that one of the boys was a transvestite. This was
>allegedly in a newspaper report sometime ago.
>Does anyone know the truth??????

Probably exaggeration from something Keith pulled.  If you look around Who
books it's not too hard to find a photo of him dressed as the Queen; if you
look inside the Who's Next reissue CD there's a photo of him in drag that
was rejected as a possible back cover for the album; he also appears in
KAAR in leather being whipped which I could imagine being twisted to fuel
the rumor.

>------------------------------
>
>From: vincenz2@ix.netcom.com
>Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:13:14 -0700
>Subject: Phoenix 10/23 review
>
>Phoenix, October 23rd, 1996.
>
>Pete's voice cracked only a couple of times during the night as the 3 days
>off since the San Jose obviously payed off.

There was no night off, they played the L A Forum the night before.

>Back to the performance, the album was played for the most part in order

What wasn't played in order, except that the first and second verses of
"Dirty Jobs" are switched?

>and Roger's guitar wasn't miked so he spoke to the crew over the mike and
>walked into an excellent joke from Pete. It went something like this;
>
>Roger: "Is this thing working tonight?"
>Roger: "I can't hear a thing!" {strumming the strings}
>Roger: "You got it? It still isn't working!"
>Pete (loudly interupting): "It's not like it matters!"
>
>Roger: (speechless)

Actually, he responded, "You BAStard!"  Then, to the audience, "He's cut my
lead!"

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend