Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V3 #612

In regards to Keith Pendergast's question of who is the greatest drummer
in the world, it is probably a question best answered by pesonal taste.
There are 4 or 5 great drmmers in each field of music.  In rock you have
Moon, Bonham, Ginger Baker, Pert, and others like Stewart Copeland that
you can't really catagorize.  In Jazz you have to say Art Blakey, Philly
Joe Jones, Buddy Rich, Tony Williams, Dennis Chambers (Very Keith Moon
Influenced), and a host of others.  There are also Big Bands, Fusion,
Funk, and at least ten other forms of music still very much alive in this
country, all with outstanding drummers.  This question is like trying to
determine the best player in the NBA.  You have to do it by position, and
even then it isn't very clear.  Each of the drummers I mentioned is
excellent at one aspect or another.  Bonham kept the best time in rock.
Moon was by far the most inventive, Baker was the originator of many of
the styles ans techniques used today, and Pert may be the best in the
form of sheer musicianship.  This question may be best answered by taking
the best traits of each, but by doing that you spoil the uniqueness of
each individual.  You steal Moon's zest or Bonham's explosiveness.  There
is no easy answer or universally accepted answer.  I think the only way
to really solve the question is to fully appreciate the greatness of all
the drummers and what they brought to the table.

Sorry to bore you to tears, but I had to answer.

- -Pete

"There once was a note, listen!"