Re: Phoenix and Pete:"I am a woman!"

At 21:53 11/1/96, TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com wrote:

>From: vincenz2@ix.netcom.com
>Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 09:47:37 -0800
>
>>>I was told by someone that one of the boys was a transvestite. This was
>>>allegedly in a newspaper report sometime ago.
>>>Does anyone know the truth??????
>>
>>Probably exaggeration from something Keith pulled.  If you look around Who
>>books it's not too hard to find a photo of him dressed as the Queen; if you
>>look inside the Who's Next reissue CD there's a photo of him in drag that
>>was rejected as a possible back cover for the album; he also appears in
>>KAAR in leather being whipped which I could imagine being twisted to fuel
>>the rumor.
>
>No I don't think so. About 5 years ago there was a small article in the USA
>Today and it said something about feeling like a woman and there was a quote
>from Pete. I don't remember much other than Pete said something like "I can
>relate because I am a woman."[...snip]

True, but this has no relation to transvestism, which, apparently I should
mention, is specifically the practice of dressing in clothing traditionally
worn by the opposite sex.  In contradistinction to Keith, I can recall no
picture or reported instance of Pete dressing in women's clothing.  I
suspect the source was either referring, as I said, to Keith, or else they
were thinking of Pete's quote and simply didn't know what a transvestite
is.

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend