Tommy vs. Quad

  I heard some mention of the "good" symbolism in the Tommy film. O.K., There
is symbolism, but I don't think that the type of symbolism that reaches out
of the screen and says "Pay Attention To Me, I Mean Something!" is
particularly good. Obviously this is all based on personal preference, but I
tend to enjoy symbolism at a more subtle level. Like the type that exists in
the Tommy LP. I equate the obnoxious piety of the Tommy film with the movie
Natural Born Killers. I wish to god that Quentin Tarentino directed that
movie himself. On the same token, Tommy would have been better if Pete
directed it himself (or anyone else for that matter). The Quad film is
infinately more subtle, but maybe too subtle. I enjoy this movie very much,
but my girlfriend (nonwho fan by the way) had trouble getting into the plot.I
have to agree that the movie can be a little slow, especially for those who
are not familiar with the LP. (Here's a little tangent to piss of the
Richmiester--Who else has difficulty listening to The Who with their
significant other around?? I'm hope I'm not the only one.)

New topic: Influence of T.S. Eliot on Pete
    I'm an english major so I love this shit!! Imagine my suprise when I had
to read the poem "Little Gidding" from Eliot's "Four Quartets" and I read the
passage "...All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things
shall be well." Pretty cool huh. That's the most obvious but I think other
Eliot influences are there. The poem "The Wasteland"-- can be tough reading
but I think there are some characteristics of the world described in this
poem and the world depicted by Pete in the Lifehouse project. And obviously
the whole "Teenage Wasteland" thing. I will reread the poem and try to be
more specific if anyone is interested. I also think that the poem "The Love
Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" influenced some of the Quad material,
specifically the song Drowned. The basic story of the poem is that this man
(J.A. Prufrock) is watching life go on as if he were a mere spectator. He is
too afraid to defy public opinion and make anything out of his life (sounds a
bit like Jimmy, don't you think?) The poem is narrated  by someone who
induces the reader in a dreamlike state and concludes with the
line--"...until human voices wake us and we drown". If anyone has a copy of
this poem, I recomend reading it and right at the end blast "Drowned" It's a
cool experience. I will also try to clarify this connection if asked. I
apologize if this was too boring but if anyone else is interested in literary
reference in Pete songs, let me know and I'll do some research (e.i. read the
stuff I enjoy reading anyway).

Vac