odds...and ends

>Without pretensions?  Hardly.  Your first statement is certainly correct
>(they weren't nearly as original).  The second correct without the
>parenthetical modification (they *were* a GREAT rock & roll band).  But
>the third, I believe, is way off.  Especially since the late seventies,
>when they forgot what they do best and tried to be original.  I for one
>am real tired of listening to Jagger groan.  It just emphasizes how good
>he used to be, and how far he's fallen into the "so what if I can't sing
>anymore? I can still gyrate" mindset.

KLW:

I must interject something here, at risk of being way off subject.
The Stones were original while Brian Jones was with the band. Really, from
late `65 till `68. So I assume that he was the creative force. After Mick
Taylor joined the band they were better performers, but the creativity of
the band began to decline (slowly; EXILE was very creative).
Then, of course, their performance began to decline...
But while Brian was there, they did some great original material. Like
Citadel, which is covered so well by the band Danelion.

                   Cheers                   ML