Dear Richard...

From: Rich Thomson <rthomson@ptc.com>

I find it funny that all these people are claiming that I'm
"censoring" them, when in fact all I'm asking them to do is kindly
respect the charter of the list.
<<<

Maybe none of us would have minded so much if you had only asked once.

>From the list of lists, (dated 4/25/96) the purpose of this list is
stated as:

    Purpose: An unmoderated mailing list for discussion of the band
 The Who, its individual members, lyrics, etc.

Seems pretty straightforward and simple to me
<<<

Me, too.  I think the word you seem to have skipped over is
"unmoderated."  That means there is *no* moderator.  That includes you.

Obviously I am not a
censor since your off-topic articles continue to flood over the list
membership.
<<<

No, it just means you are an *ineffective* censor...

Noone is taking away your freedom, noone is prohibiting you from
saying whatever you like.  However, I am asking you (and it has always
been a request, never a demand, never a threat, nothing more than a
request) to please keep it on topic for the list.
<<<

And all of us (one possible exception) have responded to that request
with something along the lines of "Eat me!"  Does that give you a
hint...?

When you post a message, you must accept responsibility for the
consequences of that message.
<<<

I bet that you're finding out firsthand what that statement means, due to
what must be a hellacious increase in your Inbox, which is (I believe)
the original reason you began your Crusade For List Purity.

I will continue to request that people
keep their messages on-topic; I will continue to make such requests in
private e-mail only
<<<

And I can guarantee you will continue to get flogged for it publicly.

 -- I see no point in discussing this ad-nauseum to
the list in general, but I am open to intelligent discussion by e-mail
if you so wish.
<<<

Well, Rich, this is the first any of us have heard from you, public or
private.  What are we supposed to think?

         Between stimulus and response is the will to choose.
<<<

You really need to understand this statement before you claim it as your
sig line, especially as it applies to this discussion.

OK,
KLW

Q: Does discussion of the charter of the list qualify as On or Off topic?
 Will I get a Focus Reminder for posting this message?  Hint:  these are
not trick questions...