Re: Is it censorship...for a moment...

>In fact, I have accepted that The Who isn't the only subject of interest people
>share on this list, and I don't mind if the discussion goes off-topic now and
>then...  Many listers like (or dislike, eh, Fang?) certain American TV shows,
>so why shouldn't they mention them once in a while?  However, after having
>discussed your 247th fav show, you should begin to ask yourself:  Well, will
>those Who fans over there really be interested in what I watched when I was 3?

Bernrd:

TV is such an important aspect of American culture in the `60s (which is one
reason The Who made it, let's face it) that it's hard to avoid a reference
once in a while.
The funny thing is that it's less important now, when there are 50+ channels
out there for many people. The medium, having grown up, is now less
interesting. Perhaps the lack of music coverage in the `60s (we were limited
to shows like American Bandstand, Soul Train, Where The Action Is, and
Shindig if you've seen any of those...and I sincerely hope you haven't!)
made the occasional glimpse of one's favorite band special...whereas now we
have MTV and VH1 and BET...and it's not that exciting.

>Sorry, I don't care since I have ordered tickets for the Hyde Park show (and
>unlike Shanon, I am quite confident of actually getting them).  Hope to see
>many of you in London...

Wish I could be there, but I have this store to run.

>Believe it or not:  I don't even own a TV set.  (However, I always watch quite
>a lot of TV whenever I visit my relatives. - Ah, it's always a pleasure to sit
>through some old Star Trek episodes...)  Therefore my information might not be
>very accurate, but anyway:  We receive MTV Europe here, and we also have a
>German music TV channel called VIVA.  I like neither of them very much since I
>am not into today's pop music - though sometimes they have quite some good
>`oldie' shows.
>There are a lot of quite decent radio stations here in Germany - especially
>since private stations were allowed in about 1985 - but usually I prefer my own
>CD collection to the broadcast.  As for music magazines and such, I virtually
>know nothing - surely there must be some, but I've never cared up to now.  My
>most important sources of information about music are (sometimes rather old)
>books and this list.  Maybe some other (more experienced) German lister can
>provide you with more and better details.  (Christian?  Your turn!)

All interesting. I have a (I believe) fairly good picture of what's going on
in England, but of Europe it's a bit hazy. I know that there were some
excellent German shows (Rockpalast, for instance) in the `60-70s (`cause
I've got some on tape, most notably The Kinks and XTC). We had nothing like
that here.
Radio is a corporate venture, subject to polls and studies and no
individualism at all (except for Howard Stern). The day of a DJ playing
something that HE/SHE thought was worthy is long gone. Sadly.

>BTW:  I always enjoy your discussions with Ian et al. about who influenced
>whom.  A lot of interesting musical background information hidden there... :-)

Thanks! I enjoy those myself. To me, it's imporant to see the chronology and
development of Rock music...it comes, I suppose, of having not-written the
book I planned for years: Rock Music - The First 30 Years. I still may write
it, who knows? One thing you can be sure of...The Who would play a major
role (as I believe they have in the scheme of things).

                   Cheers                   ML