3/4 Who content

1) Tommy vs. Quadrophenia movies:

Is there even a comparison?  The Tommy movie is crap from top to
bottom.  The Quadrophenia movie is an intelligible story (except the
accents!) from top to bottom, with tolerable acting.  I think the
difference comes from the original albums.  Tommy is great songs
around a sort of vague story.  If you try and write out the plot of
Tommy though, it don't make that much sense.  Tough to make a movie
out of.  And what with all that psychadelia in the air, it probably
seemed like a good idea to make a 2 hour acid trip.  They must have
been on acid to let all those terrible versions of the songs in.  Not
so with Quadrophenia which has a clearly deliniated plot.  It's easy
to construct a movie out of.  Then the music can be there just to
support the story.

2) Let My Love OTD video

Saw this on VH-1 yesterday.  It was his live performance, but it also
had some other performance, and a rehearsal, and it was all kind of
mushed together to make a video that was just a tad more interesting
than him just hanging out at the mic.  It was a pleasure when they
showed the album title, to see it stretching across the whole screen.

3) New Topic?

OK, here's a poll type question.  Hope it hasn't been done here
before, or at least for a while.

What Who (or PT) song that was released as a single should never have
been?

What Who (or PT) song that wasn't ever a major release should have
been?

I don't know about the second, but I think A Friend is a Friend is
utter crap.  Shouldn't have even been on the album, much less the
single release.

4)  Off-Topic

Billy West is great.  People must his hear his routine of Larry Fine
at rock's greatest moments.  His role in rock history is greatly
underestimated.  "So I told that schvatzer Hendrix the way he plays
guitar he should burn the f***ing thing!"

--
- Brad Goldman
 (Brad@jimmy.harvard.edu)