is it censorship?

I find it funny that all these people are claiming that I'm
"censoring" them, when in fact all I'm asking them to do is kindly
respect the charter of the list.  The bottom line is this:

Is this a mailing list for discussing the who, or is it a chat list
free-for-all?

>From the list of lists, (dated 4/25/96) the purpose of this list is
stated as:

    Purpose: An unmoderated mailing list for discussion of the band
	The Who, its individual members, lyrics, etc.

Seems pretty straightforward and simple to me, yet when some people
can't control themselves and insist on posting everything and anything
and are asked to please keep themselves directed towards the purpose
of this list, suddenly they cry "censor!".  Obviously I am not a
censor since your off-topic articles continue to flood over the list
membership.

I always find it somewhat strange that people who continue to violate
the purpose of the list always blame me when I ask them to respect the
list's charter.  Unfortunately it is currently prevalent in American
society to avoid personal responsibility.

Noone is taking away your freedom, noone is prohibiting you from
saying whatever you like.  However, I am asking you (and it has always
been a request, never a demand, never a threat, nothing more than a
request) to please keep it on topic for the list.

When you post a message, you must accept responsibility for the
consequences of that message.  I will continue to request that people
keep their messages on-topic; I will continue to make such requests in
private e-mail only -- I see no point in discussing this ad-nauseum to
the list in general, but I am open to intelligent discussion by e-mail
if you so wish.

Basically, I think its pretty clear though.

1. This list's charter says it is for discussion of the who
2. I'm asking that you respect the charter
3. I can't censor you, nor would I attempt to censor anyone.  Anyone
    who thinks I am pro-censorship or anti-1st amendment hasn't taken the
    time to ask me about it.
4. You are responsible for what you post.

Now lets get back to discussing my favorite band...
--
         Between stimulus and response is the will to choose.
  3D Paint Programmer / Fractal Freak           Rich Thomson