Townshend and Gooden

     Hello Listers:

        As as diehard Mets fan, I make it a point never (and I mean never!)
     to attend Yankees games.  However, last night, I made an exception and
     jaunted off to the Bronx to see the Doctor pitch.  As the game and
     crowd level hit a fever pitch with the impending no-hitter (the bottom
     of the eighth inning), the familiar opening drum hits of Mr. Simon
     Phillips starting "Barefootin'" immediately caught my ears and the
     ears of 31,025 people of all ages, races, religions and ethnic groups
     who began dancing in the aisles and on their seats--as "seats were
     made for standing on!"--to the music of Pete Townshend.  I will always
     couple my memory of seeing a no-no in person with that of hearing PT
     in such an unexpected environment.

                                Chris M.

     P.S. Just as Dave Marsh made mention of the Keith Moon-Buddy Holly
     connection, the linking of two ex-addicts like Townshend and Gooden
     would prove relevant to tales of rehabilitation and hope.