New Pete T. interview

> From: TAPEBOY@aol.com
> Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 03:35:43 -0400
> Subject: New Pete T. interview
>
> On line news service, 'Mr. Showbiz' has a
> Pete Townshend interview and retrospective which will be available 5/15 (how
> appropriate!).    The interview with Pete was done May 3rd while Pete was in
> NYC for the Supper Club shows.
> Mr. Showbiz's  URL is:
> http://www.mrshowbiz.com/showbiz/musicreviews/

Thanks for the pointer!  Some interesting bits therefrom:

What will the staging of Quadrophenia look like?

There will be some images culled from the movie. There's specially
shot film, subtitles, and narration drawn from the album sleeve
story. A little bit of scenery, some backdrops and a little staged
action, but essentially it's just us running through the material. I
kind of think of myself as a guest artist. I am going to sing a couple
of things with Roger, I hope.

What prompted you to revisit Quadrophenia?

I remember when I did Carnegie Hall with Roger [in 1994], and hearing
"Dr. Jimmy" and thinking how wonderful it sounded, but chiefly how
wonderfully he sang it and how explosive it was. That made me want to
do this. But the main thing was this new remix of the album we did for
CD, which I got in March. I put it on, and "I Am the Sea" comes up,
and it was just spectacular. Something happened in the original mixing
process which destroyed the record.

What happened?

Fuck knows what I did. It was some sort of phase problem. Quadrophenia
now sounds very much like it sounded in the studio, as I remember it.

Is there any temptation to turn the Quadrophenia production into a
full-scale stadium tour?

At the moment, I'm considering the idea of bringing it to Giants
Stadium or something like that. Once it's up, you think, "Well, we
should just hop the Atlantic with it." This thing has grown very
quickly.

--
Alan McKendree          amck@eden.com           512-478-9900
Adhesive Media, 101 W. 6th St., Ste. 210, Austin, TX   78701